It’s officially the worst rescue week (or two weeks) that Bonnie Blue Rescue has ever have. So bad, in fact, that it’s hard to know where to start.
We love what we do – rescuing pups, fostering them, loving on them, putting families together – it’s the best.
But weeks like this really stop you in your tracks.
In the past week we have been hit with more emergency veterinary bills than ever before. All in one week. We are close to $10,000 in the hole overall; and this is before we factor in Fritz’s urgent care bills for the next few days AND Flash’s neurologist emergency care bills from tonight/tomorrow. We have no idea how we are going to make that amount up. Even on our best fundraising days, that is an incredible amount to have to raise.
It is likely that our rescue will never be able to bounce back from these devastating veterinary bills.
We hope to be able to pay off our substantial debts and bring more dogs into rescue again one day, but for now we have to focus on fundraising for the pups that we have already committed to and doing whatever we can to get them healthy.
We are shutting down intake at Bonnie Blue Rescue indefinitely.
We will not be pulling any additional dogs for rescue, taking in any owner surrenders, or assisting other rescues by taking on their dogs. We will, of course, stand by the dogs were currently have in rescue and continue to working on rehoming, fostering, and finding the best fit for each of the pups currently in rescue. Over the last two years, we have averaged rescuing 18-20 dogs per month. It is devastating to realize that that many pups per month will not make it out of the shelter while we work on fundraising for our emergency bills. Heartbroken doesn’t begin to explain how we feel.
If you are interested in chipping in, our most urgent needs are assistance with Flash & Fritz’s emergency vet care. Both boys are currently in round-the-clock care; Fritz with parvo and Flash with seizures that are not stopping.
Flash’s ChipIn: http://bonniebluerescue.chipin.com/flashs-emergency-care
Fritz’s ChipIn: http://bonniebluerescue.chipin.com/fritz-the-fuzzbutt
If you would like more information about each of our pups & what’s going on with them — please keep reading.
The most recent updates on each of these pups will be found on their individual ChipIn pages above or on our blog at http://bonniebluerescue.wordpress.com
* * *
It might be easier to break it down by pup to explain just how crazy our week has been:
Zoe was transported to CT to her new rock star foster mom just last week. Though it had been almost a week since her spay surgery, her foster mom noticed that she was not healing well. A trip to the vet determined that she needed surgery the next day. Her internal sutures were infected and she needed to have them removed; infected tissue from her spay surgery had to be cut away. Even with our rescue discount, Zoe’s bill was $251.47. Zoe & Patches have a join ChipIn here: http://bonniebluerescue.chipin.com/zoe-and-patches
Patches has been living the good life in foster care. He even has an adoptive family who is so anxious to bring him home. This past weekend during his last weekend at home with his foster family, Patches got into a hive of yellow jackets. His face started swelling immediately and vomiting started right after. His foster family rushed him to the ER vet, but they had to run a CBC and Lyme panel before they could treat him as his lymph nodes were very swollen and his temp was very high. The swollen lymph nodes could just be from the shock of multiple stings, or could be a tick-borne disease. Unfortunately, we were told that that determination greatly affects the treatment plan so he had to wait for those results to come in. CBC looks normal, lyme panel looks normal & lymph swelling likely just due to multiple stings. Patches is finally on the mend and went home that night. Patches ER vet visit cost $339. Patches & Zoe have a joint ChipIn set up here: http://bonniebluerescue.chipin.com/zoe-and-patches
Flash is one of the Fuzzbutt pups. He was transported north to MD to meet his foster-to-adopt family this past weekend. They were so excited to bring this cute guy home that they drove an extra 4 hours just to pick him up a day early. Within 48 hours of his arrival, Flash was a very sick pup. Vomiting and diarrhea started first and just a general feeling of “yuck”. He was take to the foster-to-adopt family’s ER in MD to get checked out and was treated with antibiotics, subq fluids and anti-nausea meds. His parvo test was negative and his poop was too watery to get a clear fecal sample. He came home from the ER vet that night, but felt crummy enough the next day that he went back to the regular vet for another checkup. Flash spent the next night at the regular vet on IV fluids, antibiotics, etc. The regular vet determined that it was likely just a virus/bacterial infection that had to run its course. Flash went home the next day and was back to being a normal, playful puppy. One day later, Flash started having violent seizures complete with facial weakness and excessive drooling. Understandably, his family was very concerned. A call into their vet had Flash on the road to a neurologist that morning. Though countless tests have been run, the vets still have no idea what might be causing the seizures other than the initial virus/viral infection. Thankfully, the seizures had subsided considerably since Friday. Flash was sent back home on Sunday. We got a message from his foster-to-adopt dad a few hours ago – Flash’s seizures are back and they are almost continuous right now. He is currently at the emergency vet/neurologists office and they are working rapidly to stabilize Flash. His estimate for stabilization and overnight care is $508. Flash’s vet bills from the last week have been $409 to the ER vet, $951.81 to primary vet, and $2178.28 to the veterinary neurologist – totaling $4047.09. Flash has an individual ChipIn set up here: http://bonniebluerescue.chipin.com/flashs-emergency-care
Fritz is one of the Fuzzbutt puppies who was fostered in the same home as Flash. Fritz has been digging his time in foster care in CT, meeting lots of fun people and pups to play with. A couple of days ago, Fritz started feeling a little puny but after dewormer, metronidazole and a gentler food he perked right up! Fritz felt pretty sick again on Friday, so we got him into the vet for a general check up. Subq fluids and metronidazole worked wonders and he was back to 100% normal on Saturday. By Sunday he was much worse and was admitted to the ER vet. He stay there for two nights and then moved to another 24/7 vet clinic today. To date our bills for Fritz are $1600 for Sunday/Monday & an additional $1500-2000 per 24 hour period that he is there. Fritz has an individual ChipIn set up here: http://bonniebluerescue.chipin.com/fritz-the-fuzzbutt
We wish that this was the end of our “bad week”, but it’s not.
One of our very special adopted pups, the Duke of Cadbury, passed away very unexpectedly over the weekend. His family is just devastated, and our hearts are broken with them. We are so thankful that he found his forever family and got to spend a few amazing months with them before crossing over Rainbow Bridge. Rest in peace, sweet Duke boy.
Sweet Tootsie from Louisiana came down unexpectedly with distemper this weekend, she was humanely euthanized over the weekend. We are crushed for her foster family and the adoptive family who will never get to meet this extra special girl, but we are so, so thankful that she got to spend three weeks in foster care learning all about being LOVED.
Several other BBR pups in Louisiana are showing upper respiratory symptoms. We are beyond hopeful that it’s something as simple as kennel cough, but are getting each of them in for distemper testing this week. We cannot take any risks.
We have said goodbye to Jade, Coral, Ruby, Jasper & Peridot, 5 of our Precious Gem puppies over the last week. Thankfully the other 3 pups from this litter seem to be really on the mend. They are walking around, playful and are starting to eat again. Yay!
Don’t get us wrong – good things are happening, too. We’ve made some amazing puppy placements over the last few weeks & we have even more pups heading to forever homes this weekend. We have shy pups who have come out of their shells this week, dogs finishing heartworm treatment and feeling great, and sick puppies who are finally starting to bounce back. We try to focus on the good as much as we can, but this bad week has really beaten us down.
I think I can speak for most everyone with Bonnie Blue Rescue when I say that we don’t want to end on this note. We love rescue – we love what we do. But financially, we cannot keep it up like this. Can you help us dig out from under this enormous emergency vet bill debt? Donations of any amount are always greatly appreciated. If you’d prefer mailing in a check to snail mail, just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll send our mailing address your way.
And please, consider sharing our story, blog post or facebook post with family, friends & coworkers. You would be amazed to know how much of an impact crossposting really makes. Thank you in advance for your continued support and willingness to help us get the word out on our super sick pups.